Rabbanit Shani Taragin & Rivi Frankel Tours with Shulie Mishkin
Learn and Tour Course: “ולעבדו בכל לבבכם”
When we approach the Beit Knesset, we have two books in hand – our Siddur and our Chumash. This year we will explore our connection between what we learn in Tanakh and what we pray in our Siddur. In the Chumash and Navi Hashem speaks to us, in the Siddur we talk to Hashem. In light of stories in Tanakh we will understand and appreciate how we talk to God.
We will divide the year by semester: In the first semester (taught by Rivi Frankel) we will focus on those who worshipped and prayed in the Tanakh – Avraham, Moshe, Chana, among others. In the second part of this course (taught by Shani Taragin) we will examine Mizmorei Tehillim and passages of Tanakh that have become incorporated in our regular Tefilla, thereby understanding our prayers more in depth.
The tours (with Shuli Mishkin) will take us through time and space to explore the creativity of prayer spaces. (The tours are done virtually over zoom.)
- November 9: From Temple to Synagogue: A look at the Mikdash and Bamot, and the transition to early Batei Knesset: Jerusalem, Tel Sheva, Arad, Qumran, Jericho , Herodion and Masada.
- December 21: Northern Synagogues: One Type or Many? Migdal, Kfar Nachum, Korazim, Bet Alfa, Hukok and more.
- January 18: Jerusalem City of Synagogues: Ethnic Variety in Nahlaot, Italian Synagogue, Heichal Shlomo, Hurva.
- February 22: Kabbalah, Prayer and Graves : An In-Depth Tour of Tzfat
- April 19 : Creative Twists and Women in the Synagogue: Akko including the Tunisian Syagogue and the Ramhal Synagogue
- May 31: The Golan, A Laboratory for Synagogues: Gamla, Um el Kanatir , new excavations.
ל' בתשרי תשפ"א - ז' בתמוז תשפ"א
October 18, 2020 - June 17, 2021
Matan Zoom 2021