Learn and Tour: From Ruins to Return – שיבת ציון: בימים ההם, בזמן הזה
We live in remarkable times of return to our homeland after two-thousand years of longing and dreaming of the re-fulfillment of prophecies of “Shivat Tzion” – the restoration of settlement and sovereignty following destruction. This year’s course will provide us with the opportunity to explore messages of the prophets and national-religious leaders of the past as we appreciate the parallels of challenges and opportunities in the present.
First Semester – (taught by Rivi Frankel) – The prophecies of Chaggai and Zecharya will be taught in their historical context of return to the Land of Israel after seventy years of Babylonian exile and the challenges of rebuilding the Beit HaMikdash and re-establishment of political sovereignty. We will examine the content and style of their nevuot and explore the visions that materialized and those yet to be fulfilled.
Second Semester – (taught by Shani Taragin) – We will explore the prophecies of Malachi and the historiographical messages of Ezra-Nechemia as they revive Jewish settlement and religious life in Yerushalayim. As we study the religious, economic, political and social tensions of the time, themes of Jewish identity, interpretation of history, theocracy, and Temple-based worship will trigger messages for our time as well.
TIYULIM (with Shulie Mishkin):
- November 1 | 8:30 – 13:30 – Last 100 Years of Bayit Rishon: Ketef Hinnom graves, graves from Jaffa Gate to Har Zion including Kever David, Broad Wall, Israelite Tower, Kotel excavations (if possible)
- December 13 | 8:30 – 13:30 – Shivat Zion#1 Rebuilding in Judea: Har HaZeitim, Nebi Samuel, Ramat Rachel
- January 10 | 8:30 – 15:30 – Shivat Zion #2 Making a Home in Bavel: Babylonian Jewry Museum, new Bet HaTfuzot
- March 7 | 8:30 – 18:30 – Those Who Stayed Behind: Visit to the Shomronim and Har Gerizim
- May 9 | 8:30 – 13:30 – Shivat Zion today: Hurban: Yad Vashem and Chamber of the Holocaust
- June 13 | 8:30 – 17:00 – Shivat Zion today: A State in the Making: Castel, Latrun, Machon Ayalon or maybe Herzl Museum